Back to School: Sustainable Shopping at WalmartAug 24
Shopping sustainably doesn’t mean you have to venture out far. As back-to-school season has now commenced, we’re bringing you sustainable shopping choices you can find at your local, neighborhood retailers.
In our first back to school guide, we covered Target and their goals and owned-brand products. We’ll now be covering Walmart. As the world’s largest company by revenue, they’ve been incorporating sustainable operations and resources for the past 10 years focused on 3 main goals:
- Creating zero waste
- Operating with 100% renewable energy
- Selling products that sustain resources and the environment
Striving to connect their initiatives directly with suppliers, they put together their Sustainability Hub. This hub is a resource and opportunity for suppliers to collaborate with Walmart on renewable initiatives. Specifically with Project Gigaton, started just last year, they’re providing a goal driven program to reduce greenhouse emissions. This program is focused on the following areas:
- Product Use
With these initiatives, Walmart has been working to bring better and healthier options for their customers. Let’s take a look at what we can buy thanks to their suppliers below.
Responsible Paper Products
- Pen + Gear is Walmart’s brand for school & office supplies. Most of their paper supplies are Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) Certified, which makes them the ideal brand to look for while back to school shopping.
- File Folders – You can also find other paper brands that come from sustainably managed forests and recycled materials.
- Exceed Reinforced Filler Paper College Ruled – 100 Sheets – Exceed offers filler paper that is FSC certified.
- Ampersand Weekly + Monthly Tabbed Planner – Ampersand offers lovely pattern-adorned planners that are printed with soy-based ink on acid-free, 50% PWC recycled paper.
What’s paper without a pencil? You can find pencils that are Programme for the Endorsement of Forest (PEFC) certified and made from sustainable yield forests. You’ll find their logos on the items below.
- USA Titanium no. 2 pencils
- Dixon no. 2 pencils
- Ticonderoga #2 Wooden Pencils
Sustainable Clothes for Adults
Walmart ensures to provide eco-friendly comfort from their organic cotton and recycled options. Currently they don’t have any kids clothes, but they do have several well-made basics for adults.
- Anvil Organic Ringspun/Recycled Polyester T-Shirt – Available in various colors, this t-shirt is made from 50% ringspun organic cotton and 50% post-consumer P.E.T. recycled poly.
- econscious Men’s & Ladies’ 100% Organic Cotton Classic T-Shirts – Available both in short and long sleeves, these t-shirts are made from 100% organic ringspun cotton. And better yet, each purchase of these items supports environmental non-profit organizations.
Read more about eco-friendly fabrics: Everything You Need to Know About Natural and Sustainable Fabrics
Organic Foods at Walmart
Fuel is definitely much needed between studies to get through the day. When you browse Walmart’s food section, you’ll find there are a lot of healthy, organic brands and options.
- Great Value Organic – Walmart’s owned-brand, Great Value Organic, brings in a diverse array of certified organic goods from juice to snack bars to pasta that will fulfill your cravings throughout day.
- Harvest Snap! – Harvest Snap! brings a flavorful assortment of certified gluten-free and GMO-free snack crisps.
- Orchard Valley Harvest – Orchard Valley offers an assortment of healthy nut snacks that are non-GMO certified.
Certified Refurbished Electronics
Walmart offers certified refurbished electronics that come with a 90-day minimum warranty. From laptops to headphones, they have plenty of options to choose from that will not only help with your schoolwork but your wallet and planet!
We hope that this guide will help make your next experience at Walmart a sustainable one. Remember, it’s the small lifestyle changes, like shopping choices, that makes an impact on the environment. For the complete details on Walmart’s Global Responsibility Agenda, review their latest Global Responsibility Report.
Are you planning to shop at Walmart for back to school supplies? Maybe you already shopped? We’d love to see what you bought. Snap a photo and tag @kleelifdeals on your social channels.