Tackling The New School Year: Sustainable Shopping At CostcoSep 07
As the Fall school semester is well underway, there’s definitely a need to stock up on food and supplies that will help you keep afloat amid those busy schedules. A wholesale retailer who’s known to reign in the sample game, Costco carries a wide selection of products which fall under a pretty stellar sustainability program. So with some tasty samples and eco-friendly products, they’re a great neighborhood retailer to visit for your new school year routine needs.
Costco is committed to providing “high-quality goods at the lowest price possible in a way that is respectful to the environment and to the people and animals that produce these goods,” according to their site. Their well-rounded sustainability commitment focuses on 4 areas:
Particularly with their merchandise, Costco has exclusive private-label products that focus on providing ethical and respectful care for the people, animals, and the environment that are involved in the production. With that said, let’s take a look at some of their fabulous eco-friendly products for the next time you visit this wholesale retailer.
Responsible Paper Products:
From note-taking to writing papers to doodling, paper is a must during school. And when it comes to the environment, Costco pays close attention to the way products are sourced and packaged. For example, Costco has been working to expand Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) Certifications across their paper products.
- Boise Aspen Copy Paper – FSC certified, 100% Post-Consumer recycled paper
- Boise Premium Multi-Use Colored Paper – FSC certified, 30% Post consumer recycled content
- Mead 1 Subject Wire Notebook, 70 Sheets – Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI) Certified
- Pendaflex Top-Tab Folders Assorted Colors 1/3 Cut Letter – 10% Totaled recycled paper
Read about FSC Certification: FSC Certification – Forest Stewardship Council
Organic and Eco-Positive Foods:
Costco’s food selection is probably the most enticing aspect of their shopping experience. From their delicious samples to their eclectic selections of snacks and meals, there’s really nothing you can’t find here to satisfy those stomachs during lunches and school events.
Kirkland Signature is Costco’s line of exclusive private-label products ranging from foods to home supplies. With this, they’re able to expand traceability that entails the following opportunities:
- Knowing the quality and safety of the product
- Examining issues of sustainability
- Listing product origin information on the label
- Helping people in the supply chain receive a fair return
Through Kirkland Signature, Costco provides a plethora of delicious and USDA certified organic foods that come in sustainable packaging. For example, many items in their produce department are made from recycled water bottles–and these materials continue to be recyclable in communities where Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) recycling is available. So here’s to happy and healthy eating!
- Animal Crackers – USDA organic
- Organic Applesauce pouches – USDA organic, gluten free, no-sugar added
- Organic Creamy Peanut Butter, 28 oz – USDA organic
- Granola With Almonds – USDA organic
- House Blend Medium Roast Coffee, 2 lbs – Fairtrade certified
- Wild Alaskan Sockeye Salmon – Hand-picked, Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) Certified Sustainable
- 24 Pack Organic Cage-Free Eggs – USDA organic, container is made from recycled PET
- Hummus Singles – USDA Organic, non-GMO, gluten-free
Sustainable Cleaning Supplies:
Whether it’s clothes, table tops, or bodies, there always seems to be more things to clean when school is in session. Costco carries the right cleaning products that are healthy and eco-friendly. Here are some items you can use in between those busy schedules.
- Environmentally Responsible Liquid Laundry Detergent – Made with biodegradable ingredients, meets U.S. EPA safer products standards
- Environmentally Responsible Ultra Liquid Citrus Dish Soap – Made with biodegradable ingredients, meets U.S. EPA safer products standards
- Moist Flushable Wipes – Made from EcoFlush Technology with 100% plant-based materials and free of chemical binders
- Gallon Trash Bags – Carton is 100% recyclable
Costco carries eclectic and sustainable products that will help you take on the busy school year. Purchasing more of their Kirkland Signature items will not only help you and your family, but the environment. Not to mention, by visiting a wholesale retailer, you’ll be buying more for less.
Have you visited Costco for the new school year? We’d love to see what you bought. Snap a photo and tag @kleelifedeals on your social channels.